With the rise of global e-commerce and the increasing popularity of Asian fashion brands, it’s more important than ever to understand how to convert Asian sizes to US sizes.
Ensuring a proper fit is essential for comfort and style, but it can be challenging when faced with unfamiliar sizing systems.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll break down the differences between Asian and US sizes and provide you with the tools you need to confidently convert sizes and shop for the perfect fit.
Understanding Asian Sizes
1. Asian Size vs. US Size: The Basics
Generally, Asian sizes tend to run smaller than US sizes due to differences in body proportions, clothing fit preferences, and measurement systems.
For example, a US size medium might be equivalent to an Asian size large or even extra-large. Additionally, Asian shoe sizes often differ from US sizes.
2. Factors Contributing to Size Differences
Several factors contribute to the variations between Asian and US sizes:
- Body Proportions: Asian body types tend to be more petite, with shorter torsos and limbs compared to their US counterparts.
- Fit Preferences: Asian fashion often emphasizes a more form-fitting, tailored look, while US fashion leans towards a relaxed, casual fit.
- Measurement Systems: The US uses inches, while most Asian countries use centimeters, leading to potential discrepancies in size conversion.
3. Importance of Accurate Size Conversion
An accurate size conversion is crucial for several reasons:
- Comfort: Wearing clothes that fit well improves overall comfort and freedom of movement.
- Style: Properly fitting clothes enhance your appearance and boost your confidence.
- Cost Savings: Avoiding returns due to incorrect sizing saves you time, money, and frustration.
Asian Size Conversion Chart
1. Men’s Clothing Sizes
|14||XS||S / 36||90|
|14.5||XS||S / 37||90|
|15||S||165 / 88-90||M / 38||95|
|15 - 15.5||S||165 / 88-90||M / 39||95|
|15.5 - 16||M||170 / 96-98||L / 40||100|
|16||M||170 / 96-98||L / 41||100|
|16.5||L||175 / 108-110||L, XL / 42||105|
|17||L||175 / 108-110||43||105|
|17.5||XL||180 / 118-122||44||110|
|17.5||XL||180 / 118-122||44||110|
|XXL||185 / 126-130|
|XXL||185 / 126-130|
2. Women’s Clothing Sizes
|4||XS||160-165 / 84-86||S / 36 / 5||44|
|6||XS||160-165 / 84-86||S / 36 / 7||44|
|8||S||165-170 / 88-90||M / 38 / 9||55|
|10||S||165-170 / 88-90||M / 38 / 9||55|
|12||M||167-172 / 92-96||L / 40 / 11||66|
|16||M||167-172 / 92-96||L / 40 / 11||66|
|18||L||168-173 / 98-102||L, XL / 42 / 13||77|
|20||L||168-173 / 98-102||L, XL / 42 / 13||77|
|22||XL||170-176 / 106-110||XXL / 3L /15||88|
|24||XL||170-176 / 106-110||XXL / 3L /15||88|
3. Children’s Clothing Sizes
4. Men’s Shoe Sizes
5. Women’s Shoe Sizes
6. Kids’ Shoe Sizes
*Please note that shoe sizes may vary significantly between brands and styles. Always refer to the specific brand’s size chart for accurate conversions.
How to Convert Asian Sizes to US Sizes
1. Measure Yourself Accurately
Take accurate measurements of your bust, waist, hips, and inseam to help ensure proper sizing when shopping for Asian clothing.
2. Use Conversion Charts
Utilize the size conversion charts provided above, but keep in mind that sizes may vary between brands and styles.
3. Online Conversion Tools
Several online conversion tools are available to help you quickly and easily convert between Asian and US sizes.
4. Verify with Retailers
Always double-check with the retailer’s size chart or customer service to confirm the correct size conversion.
Common Sizing Pitfalls
1. Inconsistencies Between Brands
Sizes can vary significantly between different brands, so it’s important to always check the specific brand’s size chart.
2. Variations in Fit and Style
Different clothing styles may fit differently, so consider the intended fit when selecting your size.
3. Fabric Shrinkage
Some fabrics may shrink after washing, so account for potential shrinkage when selecting your size.
Tips for Shopping Asian Brands
1. Check Size Charts and Measurements
Always consult the brand’s size chart and your measurements before purchasing.
2. Read Customer Reviews
Customer reviews often provide valuable insights into the fit and quality of clothing.
3. Opt for Adjustable Designs
Choosing clothing with adjustable features, such as drawstrings or belts, can help ensure a better fit.
4. Purchase from Reputable Retailers
Shopping from trustworthy retailers increases the likelihood of accurate sizing and quality products.
The Future of Asian Size Conversions
1. Global Sizing Standards
As the fashion industry becomes more globalized, we may see a push towards standardized sizing systems to simplify the shopping experience.
2. Virtual Fitting Technologies
Advancements in technology, such as virtual fitting rooms and 3D body scanning, may help improve size conversion accuracy in the future.
Converting Asian sizes to US sizes can be a daunting task, but with the right knowledge and tools, you can confidently shop for clothing that fits you perfectly.
By understanding the differences between Asian and US sizing, utilizing conversion charts, and verifying sizes with retailers, you’ll be well-equipped to navigate the world of Asian fashion and find the perfect fit.
We are Yansourcing, a leading sourcing company in China, dedicated to helping our clients source products from China at the most competitive prices. If you are interested in importing from China, please feel free to contact us.
1. Why do Asian sizes run smaller than US sizes?
Asian sizes generally run smaller than US sizes due to differences in body proportions, clothing fit preferences, and measurement systems.
2. Can I rely solely on conversion charts to find my size?
Conversion charts are a useful starting point, but always double-check with the retailer’s size chart and consider potential variations between brands and styles.
3. Are there any online tools that can help me convert Asian sizes to US sizes?
Yes, several online conversion tools are available to help you quickly and easily convert between Asian and US sizes.
However, it’s still essential to verify sizing with the retailer’s size chart or customer service.
4. How can I ensure the best fit when shopping for Asian clothing online?
To ensure the best fit, accurately measure yourself, consult the brand’s size chart, read customer reviews, and choose adjustable designs when possible.
Additionally, purchase from reputable retailers to increase the likelihood of accurate sizing and quality products.
5. Will the fashion industry adopt global sizing standards in the future?
While it’s difficult to predict, the growing globalization of the fashion industry may lead to a push towards standardized sizing systems to simplify the shopping experience.
Additionally, advancements in virtual fitting technologies could help improve size conversion accuracy in the future.